Gain a Global Perspective on Technology
The Global Innovation Exchange is excited to offer exclusive learning opportunities for University of Washington graduate students to learn and experience a global perspective on emerging technology!
XR Summer Academy
2-week XR Summer Academy in Helsinki, Finland (5-credit UW course)
We have partnered with Metropolia University of Applied Sciences in Finland to offer an exclusive program around introductory XR design.
Metropolia University of Applied Sciences and the University of Washington’s Global Innovation Exchange have come together to create an exclusive XR summer program that will allow participants to gain the tools they will need to develop a product in leading XR technologies, with a focus on current and future AR/VR technologies. This course will be held in MUAS’s advanced Helsinki XR Center, where students and industry collaborate on the latest trends in AR/VR development.
University of Washington student participants will have the opportunity to learn alongside students and expert faculty from Metropolia in a program created exclusively for the University of Washington Global Innovation Exchange.
- XR application design process, ideation and scheduling
- Introduction to 3D modeling tools and XR technology
- Introduction to XR capabilities and support for game engines
- Introduction to immersiveness as a concept and tool
- XR project management and resourcing
Learning objectives and outcomes
- Knows the possibilities and limitations of current and near-future XR technologies and ecosystems
- Knows about designing the high-quality content for XR technologies
- Knows about using VR and AR applications and technologies in product development and with the support of various design tools
Week 1: Orientation, lectures and lab work
Week 2: XR design sprint and industry visits/tours
Enrollment in a University of Washington Global Innovation Exchange 5-Credit graduate course is required for participation.
(5 Credit fees at GIX: $4,635)
Included in the above fees:
- Instruction Costs
- Housing (in designated housing in Helsinki – all participants must stay in designated housing)
- 2 meals/day on weekdays (breakfast only on weekends)
- Local transportation passes in Helsinki
- Administrative Fees
- UW Study Tour enrollment fees
Not included in the above fees (participant responsibility):
- Travel to Helsinki (flights)
- UW mandatory travel insurance ($1.74/day)
- Other meals and incidentals not covered above