Gain a Global Perspective on Technology
The Global Innovation Exchange is excited to offer exclusive learning opportunities for University of Washington graduate students to learn and experience a global perspective on emerging technology!
3-week Robotics Labs Internships in Hachioji (greater Tokyo), Japan
We have partnered with Tokyo Metropolitan University’s advanced robotics labs to offer unique internship experiences during summer 2023.
Dates: July 18, 2023 – August 4, 2023
Tokyo Metropolitan University and the University of Washington’s Global Innovation Exchange have partnered to allow opportunities to participate in research and design cycles during a special summer session in one of three advanced robotics labs.
University of Washington students will have access to learn and work alongside students and expert faculty from Tokyo Metropolitan University in this exciting 3-week experience, and be able to understand the state and trends of the robotics industry in Japan.
- Conduct compressed development cycle, beginning with user needs assessments, user targeting, and brainstorming
- Conduct research and development of robotics solution, and choose programming/development platforms
- Implement solution in various scenarios and experimentation
- Participate in UX Workshop
Program Schedule (tentative):
Week 1: Orientation, conduct initial problem exploration and user research.
Week 2: Begin development of proposed solution, with prototyping and programming
Week 3: Implement and test solution, and participate in UX workshop
Enrollment in a University of Washington Field Research and Independent Study Abroad (FRILA) is required.
- FRILA fees: $485 for credit option, $260 for a non-credit option
- GIX Administrative Fees: $700
Not included in the above fees (participant responsibility):
- Travel to Hachioji(Tokyo)
- Housing (Estimated at 30,000-80,000 JPY.
- Housing will be provided by Tokyo Metropolitan University
- Finalized housing cost available in May
- UW mandatory travel insurance ($1.74/day)
- Meals and incidentals