GLOBAL TECHNOLOGY EXPERIENCE
Extended Reality Design: Finland
Extended Reality (XR) Design
Learn emerging skillsets in Augmented, Virtual, Mixed, and Extended Reality development and applications from many of the world’s leading companies in Helsinki, Finland. Explore the latest XR hardware and learn key design concepts and strategies to develop a successful AR/VR application.
- All University of Washington graduate-level students and alumni are welcome to apply for this program.
- This program is designed to be interdisciplinary and accessible to all. No technical background is needed to participate.
Mixed Reality Design Academy, in Partnership with Metropolia University
- Program elements: UW Graduate course combining 12 days of in-class instruction and company visits
- Location: Helsinki XR Center at the Metropolia University of Applied Sciences campus with company visits around Helsinki, Finland
- Dates: August 12-23, 2024
Pictured: Helsinki XR Center
Metropolia University of Applied Sciences and the University of Washington’s Global Innovation Exchange have come together to create an exclusive XR summer program that will allow participants to gain the tools they will need to develop a product in leading XR technologies, with a focus on current and future AR/VR technologies. This course will be held in MUAS’s advanced Helsinki XR Center, where students and industry collaborate on the latest trends in AR/VR development.
University of Washington student participants will have the opportunity to learn alongside students and expert faculty from Metropolia in a program created exclusively for the University of Washington Global Innovation Exchange.
- Understand the possibilities and limitations of current and near-future XR/MR technologies and ecosystems
- Understand designing high-quality content for XR/MR technologies
- Understand VR and AR applications and technologies in product development and with the support of various design tools
- XR application design process, ideation and scheduling
- Introduction to 3D modeling tools and XR/MR technology
- Introduction to XR capabilities and support for game engines
- Introduction to immersiveness as a concept and tool
- XR project management and resourcing
Week 1: Orientation, lectures and lab work
Week 2: XR design sprint and industry visits/tours
Full or partial scholarships may be made available to participants through the Global Tech Experiences scholarship application process.
More information to come.
Enrollment in a University of Washington Global Innovation Exchange graduate course is required for participation.
Included in the course fees:
- Instruction Costs
- Accommodation (all participants must stay in designated housing in Helsinki)
- 2 meals/day on weekdays (breakfast only on weekends)
- Local transportation passes in Helsinki
- Administrative Fees
- UW Study Tour enrollment fees
Not included in the above fees (participant responsibility):
- Travel to Helsinki (flights)
- UW mandatory travel insurance ($1.74/day)
- Other meals and incidentals not covered above