GLOBAL TECHNOLOGY EXPERIENCE
Human-Robot Interaction: Japan
Learn how the next generation of service robotics is being developed in Japan – robots that are no longer limited to industrial and pre-programmed applications, but applications interacting with human users in everyday settings.
See the challenges in developing robots that operate in dynamic spaces with human users, and compare the trends in development between Japan and the United States.
- Enrollment in a University of Washington Global Innovation Exchange graduate course is required for participation.
- This program is designed to be interdisciplinary and accessible to all. No technical background is needed to participate.
Human-robot Interaction, in Partnership with Shibaura Institute of Technology
- Program Elements: UW Graduate course combining in-class instruction and company visits.
- Location: Shibaura Institute of Technology Toyosu Campus and Industry visits in greater Tokyo
- Dates: 2-week program TBD August/September, 2024
Learn emerging industry trends and how to develop the next generation of service robotics.
Participants will learn how robots sense, navigate, and interact with their environment, as well as how they interact with users in everyday settings in healthcare, logistics, and more.
No background robotics knowledge is necessary. The program is designed to give participants an interdisciplinary view and understanding of the technology, business, and design aspects of real-world robotic applications.
- Robot Navigation and Environmental Perception
- Robotics Applications and Controls
- Emerging business applications and markets for robotic solutions
- Understand current business, engineering, and design trends in developing service robotics solutions
- Identify different application areas for robotics solutions and their challenges in adoption
- Understand what key skills are that are in demand in the service robotics industry
- Week 1: Orientation, seminars, and company visits
- Week 2: Design workshop and company visits
Full or partial scholarships may be made available to participants through the Global Tech Experiences scholarship application process.
More information to come.
Enrollment in a University of Washington Global Innovation Exchange graduate course is required for participation.
Summer 2024 cost: $4,730
Included in the course fees:
- Instruction Costs
- Accommodation (all participants must stay in designated housing in Tokyo)
- Some meals (TBD)
- Administrative Fees
- UW Study Tour enrollment fees
Not included in the above fees (participant responsibility):
- Travel to Tokyo (flights)
- UW mandatory travel insurance (Approximately $2/day)
- Other meals and incidentals not covered above